Nick Burdi 94-103mph | Pitcher Athletic Profiles | TopVelocity Baseball Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Nick Burdi 94-103mph
GregoryHughes

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 40
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 13, 2013 – 3:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nick Burdi seems to generate a lot of velocity with a short stride, and a strong drive leg kick from peak torsion.  This “ankle kick” seems to be very explosive, even though it doesnt seem to be linear enough to bring his ankle down as his kicks it through.  I think he does this by maintaining a powerful integrity between his knee and ankle, as he kicks it back.  This link is to a video with a nice side and rear view

GregoryHughes

Rookie
Members
October 16, 2013 – 9:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Front knee stabilization is really good too.

baseonballs

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 91
October 19, 2013 – 12:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

baseonballs

Rookie
Members
October 19, 2013 – 12:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nick Burdi is a junior relief pitcher at the University of Louisville and is a highly rated professional prospect.  He is listed as 6’4″ and 218lbs on their website.  He has generated some unbelievable velocity with throws recorded over 100 mph.  Surely he has an abundance of fast twitch muscles?

His Force Vector does point towards his front hip.  He does rotate his back hip and create separation with his upper body. 

He does have a short stride length.  While the direction of his Force Vector is towards his front hip, I wonder if the short stride length keeps him more upright? – with greater emphasis on his upper body?  Would more muscle mass and stronger legs, along with a longer stride, help him use his entire body more effectively and help him be more durable?

GregoryHughes

Rookie
Members
October 19, 2013 – 2:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, he doesn’t move like he is unsure about what he is trying to do.  I think he is just trying to throw gas, and he does a lot of things right to get it done.  He actually uses his lower half well.  The way he loads and kicks, is quite effective, and enhanced by his front knee stabilization.  As far as arm health, and/or durability, I notice he does get his throwing elbow a little high.  

The fact that he stabilizes so well, might hinge on his quick/short stride.  If his stride was too far, maybe he couldnt convert that energy well.  Either way, his account of pitching high 90’s to triple digits, seems to hint towards athletic development of some kind.  He seemed to get to a new level.  Efficient and explosive mechanics probably help someone maintain and gain velo (pitching with intent/fast twitch).  He probably also starting getting bigger and stronger in the gym.  I also think I see him kick his leg really well, honestly.  Then he lands into a very strong and stable leg.

baseonballs

Rookie
Members
October 19, 2013 – 1:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nick Burdi is immensely talented and produces velocities that few pitchers ever do and only dream about.  With that being said; last year, though, his effectiveness of getting batters out decreased as the college season wore on.  I am not for sure exactly why this occurred.  There were saves he did not obtain and fewer strikeouts later in the season as compared to early in the season.  His reported velocity also decreased.  I don’t know if he felt he commanded his pitches better at a slightly lower velocity or not?  I don’t know if maybe he was also leaving a slightly slower fastball up and over the plate?  I wish him the very best this coming year and in the MLB draft.  His innate ability places him at a very elite level.

GregoryHughes

Rookie
Members
October 19, 2013 – 3:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, in a world where velocity is king, it is good to look at it from different perspectives.  Since people “dream about” it, we analyze it.  Since people analyze it, we define it.  But with so many variables at play, it is impossible to see the velo without a gun sometimes.  This is why more analysis, and proper definition is needed.  3x is a unique approach to pitching, because it is probably the most comprehensive attempt at defining high velocity mechanics.  In fact, there is nothing quite like it.  The only stumbling block of an approach like 3x, is the tendency to get wrapped up in promoting it, to the point that other successful velocity producing mechanics are deflated.  The only time that this would be an issue is actually during pitching analysis.  Video tape analysis offers a chance for the instructor to evaluate ways to improve somebodies velo (because in this case velo is king).  Brents program is so unique, and effective, that it may make it difficult to coach somebody up without trying to exact 3x on them.  For example, the side view of Nick Burdi above, does not reveal anything impressive enough to assume 94-103 mph (especially if you slow it down).  But he throws gas.  It is hard to coach 3x, and it is hard to coach pitchers.  I personally wont coach somebody who doesnt already pitch “max effort”, but Brent will coach anyone.  If somebody wants me to coach them, I first make sure they can give it all they have.  If they cant, then I tell them to start letting it go.  After a few months, then they are able to have the kind of instruction that I want to offer.  The 3x approach to mechanics is actually still growing, and rightly so.  I post stuff like this to help the leaves grow, and to help prune it so that it can grow more; because I am utterly impressed with the progress of defining topvelocity.

Not in offense

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 220

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Zedoryu: 580

norcalRHP: 317

SCOTT D: 288

Coach Robo: 257