501 Pitch Game? | Talk Pitching | TopVelocity Baseball Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
501 Pitch Game?
mulepower

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 28
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 17, 2012 – 12:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

http://highschool.rivals.com/c…..ID=1355247

Anyone else see this? I read “LSU recruit Mitchell Sewald” and remembered that he’s one of Brent’s students.

Brent Pourciau USAW Certified
Mandeville, LA.
Admin
Forum Posts: 2779
April 17, 2012 – 1:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Yeah, I know I am F—ing pissed!

I have had long conversations with Mitchell about his moron coach. It is tough trying to get a 17 year old to stand up to an insane high school coach. 

This coach only pitched him about 4 innings last year because Mitchell was throwing 82. He wouldn’t even give Mitchell the time of day. After Mitchell and I got him to 92 this past summer and he signed with LSU now the coach is throwing him just about every game. I told Mitchel he has such a promising career that he needs to tell the coach to put him on a pitch count per game and per week.

The problem is Mitchel has gotten so much attention lately that I can’t influence him anymore. He is listening to LSU now. He will be training with me this summer but this summer may be too late if the coach continues to pitch him like this.

The rumor is that Paul Mainieri called Mitchell’s high school coach and tore him a new one. I hope he does more than that next time!

Coach Robo
Broken Arrow, OK

Minor Leaguer
Members

Coaches
Forum Posts: 257
April 17, 2012 – 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

“Attempts to reach Jesuit coach Joey Latino and Rummel coach Nick Monica went unreturned.”

Since Brent didn’t publish the morons’ names, I thought I would.  I actually think moron is too mild.

Proud father of a U.S. Marine (HOME from Afghanistan)

Mandeville, LA.
Admin
April 17, 2012 – 11:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

These are two of the top baseball schools in the state currently and these coaches heads are the size of the Yankees pocketbook. I just can’t stomach these types of coaches. It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. They are more concerned about their gains than the careers of their players. I would understand doing this to a short lefty senior who throws low 80’s but  6’6 17 year old senior who is averaging 91-92 and has hit 94 this year and has already signed with one of the top universities in the country and will get drafted this year, please. I believe this will hurt Mitchell’s draft potential because it has become a big controversy already.

Coach Robo
Broken Arrow, OK

Minor Leaguer
Members

Coaches
Forum Posts: 257
April 18, 2012 – 12:12 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Two years ago Dylan Bundy’s high school coach let him throw 151 pitches in a state tournament game.  (Dylan was the fourth pick in the 2011 draft.  The article on Mitchell refers to the game.)  A courageous writer for the Tulsa World, and a friend of mine – Bill Haisten – wrote a story on the game and the number of pitches and it got a lot of publicity.  Three days later Dylan never saw the mound in the state championship game – a key factor in my son getting a state championship ring.  I’m convinced that without the publicity, Dylan’s coach would have brought him back on short rest to try to win a championship.  As a senior, with the pitch count controversy still fresh on local minds, Dylan was once again unable to pitch in the championship game after pitching three days before – and Archie Bradley’s team (Archie was the seventh pick in the same draft) won the championship.  The more publicity, the better in situations like these.  It may stop further abuse. 

Proud father of a U.S. Marine (HOME from Afghanistan)

Jeremy Binder

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 1
April 20, 2012 – 8:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mitchell Sewald pitched only 154 pitches what is everyone complaining about. I pitched just under 100 pitches and on 2 days rest pitched 130 pitches more and I’m the top pitcher and a freshmen at our school. I’ve already got one letter with a college asking my name in another sports(cross-country). As a freshmen I am the best and hardest throwing pitcher ever as a freshmen.Mitchell Sewald won’t hurt his arm if he throws right. Daisuke Matsuzaka had legendary pitch count and bullpen sessions and has a whistle clean mri on his shoulder.

Mandeville, LA.
Admin
April 20, 2012 – 11:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mitchell hit 94 in that game and was clocked at 91 in the 7th inning when he was throwing his 150th pitch. Mitchel is 17 years old. If he was 25 and his growth plates where closed and he was pitching in professional baseball this would have never become and issue. ASMI has proven that youth pitchers are at more risk of injury when they throw more than the recommended daily allowance of 66 pitches as based on the ASMi Position Statement here http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/po…..tement.htm.

A study by American Sports Medicine Institute (ASMI) – published in The American Journal of Sports Medicine in 2002 – showed a significant relationship between the number of pitches thrown and the risk of shoulder and elbow pain in youth baseball.

http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/us…..seball.htm

Mitchel had elbow problems before he began training with me and before we increased his velocity. There is no reason he should risk an injury his senior year in high school when he has already signed a letter of intent to LSU and will more than likely be drafted in the top 10 rounds of the MLB draft.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 220

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Zedoryu: 580

norcalRHP: 317

SCOTT D: 288

Coach Robo: 257

singtall: 168