Degradation of Tim Lincecum 2012 | Talk Pitching | TopVelocity Baseball Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters – maximum search word length is 84 characters

Lost password?
sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Degradation of Tim Lincecum 2012
drew

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 95
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2012 – 10:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I like to start my first post ever as a discussion about the degradation of lincecum.  he is easily my favorite pitcher since sanford college and his mechanics enlightened mine.

his FB is 90-92 with movement however his command has been up and no downward movement.  to me his body speed looks slower than usual and of course its hard to tell what he trains like in the off season or how hard hes worked to prepare for 2012 season.

his changeup/slider combo is still his bread and butter with an explosive fastball in a good spot

open discussion ?   just curious as i hope he doesn’t injure himself or is battling health issues.. i believe his mechanics give his arm minimized stress

drew r

Brent Pourciau USAW Certified
Mandeville, LA.
Admin
Forum Posts: 2779
April 11, 2012 – 11:13 pm

Lincecum has slowed down his delivery and he uses a more rotation lift leg. He is not coming as far off the rubber with his drive leg as much which is proof he is producing less stride power. Here is clips from college and then today. You can see the difference in the speed and power of the two deliveries. In the college delivery at front foot strike his drive leg is a good 12+ inches from the rubber and in the MLB footage his drive leg at front foot strike is only a few inches from the rubber.

mulepower

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 28
April 12, 2012 – 10:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think his long hair is slowing him down…

Brent Pourciau USAW Certified
Mandeville, LA.
Admin
Forum Posts: 2779
April 12, 2012 – 11:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good point!

drew

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 95
April 12, 2012 – 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i believe he is just coasting through and saving wear and tear knowing he’s just as good with proper pitching placement

the speed in sanford is unreal, and i like the hair, makes him look like the exception to the rule like he already is

Zedoryu
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Major Leaguer
Members
Forum Posts: 580
April 12, 2012 – 8:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, I doubt his hair would be causing the major problem. It’s probably the influences of the MLB, that he has changed his mechanics slightly and has stopped weightlifting. They are trying to baby him. But look it could just be because he is trying to work on his accuracy and in turn took away his velocity.

Kevin Votaw

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 65
April 12, 2012 – 11:02 pm

Hey everyone, it’s been far too long.

Just wanted to briefly weigh in on this topic. Brent, you’re dead-on. He’s clearly slowed down and is over-rotating, causing further problems with his consistency and command. Personally, I think his issues are an easy fix: move faster. We talked about this at length in another post, but in his smaller frame, he can’t afford to move as “slow” as a Justin Verlander from a basic physics and strength standpoint.

My recommendation? Use his love of music, similar to what Kershaw does: consistently listen to a song(s) with a fast beat (120 + beats per minute) and move along with it. As of now, I think he just does whatever, and it has worked for him in the past, but sometimes routines are the best thing for a pitcher (just ask Roy Halladay and Google his struggles before turning elite). If he gets moving faster, he won’t have time to rotate as far back and will divert to his mechanics in the video of when he pitched for The University of Washington. That’ll get him going and back on track. Until then, things may get worse before they get better.

Excellent question and topic.

MSTRRYAN2

Rookie
Members
Forum Posts: 48
April 12, 2012 – 11:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Living in Colorado and being a Rockies fan, I keep up with all the NL West teams.  Lincecum, Cain, Sanchez (no longer with the Giants) were fun to watch except when they pitched against the Rox.

I believe that the mental wear and tear that the Giants rotation has had to face over the last couple of years is finally getting to their pitching staff.  Knowing that the offense is not going to score many runs is tough on a pitcher mentally.  Every five days, your team is almost asking you to throw a shutout.   There were times last year when the Giants would give up one run and it might as well been 20 runs.  Maybe this is a factor in his command, trying to be too perfect, maybe not. 

J

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago

Most Users Ever Online: 220

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Zedoryu: 580

norcalRHP: 317

SCOTT D: 288

Coach Robo: 257