Distance Running Reduces Elastic Energy And Lowers Pitching Velocity
by Brent Pourciau · March 9, 2012
We all should know by now that long distance running is bad for pitchers (read 2009 article called Just Say NO to Long Distance Running) but now everyone needs to know how bad it really is. Yes, the study below proves that long distance running reduces the bodies ability to absorb and use the power of elastic energy.
If you have spent anytime on this site, you have learned the importance of elastic energy to pitching velocity. If you need a refresher or a basic understanding here are some of the key components that use elastic properties to generate high pitching velocity.
Elastic Pitching Velocity Components
- The “Load” Position – This position as defined in the 3X Pitching Velocity program is the first moment in the power pitching mechanics or 3X mechanics where elastic energy is absorbed to enhance force production in the following component. When the pitcher moves from lift to load, as he aligns his force vector into a linear position for launch, he is stretching his quads and calves through knee flexion and dorsiflexion. This stretching of the quads and calf muscles builds elastic energy in the muscles to enhance force production as the muscles contract to fire the drive leg into triple extension which is the next component in the 3X Pitching Velocity program.
- Front Leg Stabilization – This is the final component listed in the 3X mechanics. Elastic energy occurs during this component just after front foot strike when the flexed knee stabilizes, stretching the quads of the front leg before contracting into extension before pitch release.
- Hip to Shoulder Separation – This is one of the key components in the 3X mechanics where elastic energy is most important and has been proven by the National Pitching Association (NPA) to have the potential to produce 80% of a pitchers velocity. This is when the front foot lands and stabilizes as the hips completely open separating from the shoulders. This is allowing the muscles of the core to absorb a good amount of elastic energy before they contract and fire the shoulders towards the target.
- External Rotation of the Throwing Arm – This is not a component of the lower limbs, so I will not talk about this elastic component because the study below only proves the reduction of elastic energy in the lower limbs but I believe that there is a link to pattern overload and this reduction of elastic energy as well. I will leave this subject for another article once I find some research to support it.
This information of these elastic pitching velocity components should help you understand how significant elastic energy is to pitching velocity. Elastic energy is absorbed and transferred into force production in almost all of the pitching components of power pitchers, therefore a small reduction in the bodies ability to absorb elastic energy would have a chain reaction on the energy moving through these components which would have a major impact on pitching velocity. Now for the study!
Elastic Properties of Muscle-Tendon Complex in Long-Distance Runners
This study was performed at the Department of Life Science (Sports Sciences), University of Tokyo, Japan. Here is the link to the study. Here is a summary of the final results of the study.
Long distance runners showed significantly less elastic energy absorption than in untrained individuals. Not only jump heights but also the differences between the heights in squat jumps and counter-movement jumps.
This study does not go into the physiology of the final conclusion but proves, without a doubt, the final result that long distance runners do not absorb as much elastic energy as untrained athletes.
In my world, long distance running does not fit the mold of the power pitcher because it is not even close to being sport specific. Pitchers are never performing in a game at a low intensity for a long period of time. In today’s game where pitching velocity still is king, these pitchers must perform at a high intensity as long as possible but for very short periods of performance time; mainly under 2 seconds. Not only this but if you know anything about the importance of muscle fiber types, you will learn that power pitchers need more fast twitch muscle fibers than slow twitch to produce power and long distance running remodels an athlete into more slow twitch muscle fibers than fast twitch muscle fibers.
With all of this knowledge on long distance running and power pitchers, you should have no qualms with removing the “old school” approach of long distance running to train the pitcher from your program but if you are playing for a coach who has not made this leap then you need to find the best most professional way to educate him without insulting him. Just remember though, you can loss velocity a lot faster than you can gain it, so you need to take this information very seriously.
Get Email Updates (it's Free):
Most Popular Product
3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program $497A total scientific approach to pitching that is guaranteed to make you the best on your team and get you drafted one day. If you are tired of being coached by conventional wisdom and you know you have a ton more pitching velocity in you, then you must purchase this revolutionary approach to pitching velocity NOW. This program is for all ages and has everything you will ever need to add 5-10mph or more to your pitching velocity! So, don't blow another $500 on a month of bad pitching instruction when you can get started with the 3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program and start adding pitching velocity TODAY!
What You Will Gain From the 3X Programs
- The Latest And Greatest Info And Research On Becoming A High Velocity Pitcher, PERIOD!
- An Insane Worth Ethic Which Will Make Your Team Envious!
- A 1.5 Power To Weight Ratio Which Will Make People Think You Are On Steroids!
- Perfect High Velocity Pitching Mechanics!
- A Totally New Perspective On How To Dominate On The Mound!
- 5-10 Or More MPH In Pitching Velocity!
- A Major League Edge On The Competition Which Will Make You Stand Out Among Scouts!
- The Top Pitching Velocity Program Online Which is Currently Used By Tons of Professionals, Major D1 Colleges and more!
Topvelocity.net is a Baseball Pitching and velocity improvement training program. Our main offerings include: a Pitching Velocity Program along with tips and articles to increase a pitchers velocity and online Pitching Video Analysis for players.