Band Separation Pitching Drill
by Brent Pourciau · January 10, 2010
The main purpose of a Drill, is to practice a component of the delivery that will help to correct a mechanical flaw. I also believe it is important to add resistance to a drill to help imprint the new muscle memory.
The drill below should be performed 2 – 3 days a week, for at least 3 – 4 months. The drill should also be performed after completing the “Flexibility Training” portion of the Fusion System which can be found in the Ace Pitcher Handbook. You can also find more drills in the handbook. Try to push each drill to muscle fatigue, if possible.What you will need to perform the drill is your glove and some resistance tubing. All of these products can be purchased at the Velocity Store.
The purpose of this drill is to enforce the “Separation” position. To perform this drill you need a resistance band or tubing. Connect the band to a fence or have someone hold the band behind you.
Start in the “Separation” position, with the band held with your throwing arm. Arm some what relaxed and close to your body. Your glove hand is turned over and you are looking down your elbow. Both your feet are facing the target which opens your hips. Finally make sure your back shoulder is all the way behind you to help build more torque in your core.
When ready, turn over and tuck your glove hand and then push your belly and chest to your front knee, allowing the band to pull your arm back behind your head. Make sure your hips are positioned under your chest. You are now in the “Pull.” Perform pic #2 from the previous drill before continuing down to pic #3 on this drill.
Continue to stabilize your landing leg, knee, hip and chest while driving your chest out over your front foot. Once your chest has hit the wall, finish the pitch with your fingers on top of the ball and your hand 6 inches in front of foot. Make sure your elbow pulls through just above your throwing shoulder.
* Remember after creating torque in your core and your shoulders have opened to the target, velocity is based on how fast you can transfer your weight to your release point. So perform this drill with explosive power.
Purchase the Ace Pitcher Handbook for more drills and to learn the 6 Components of Pitching.
Get Email Updates (it's Free):
Most Popular Product
3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program $497A total scientific approach to pitching that is guaranteed to make you the best on your team and get you drafted one day. If you are tired of being coached by conventional wisdom and you know you have a ton more pitching velocity in you, then you must purchase this revolutionary approach to pitching velocity NOW. This program is for all ages and has everything you will ever need to add 5-10mph or more to your pitching velocity! So, don't blow another $500 on a month of bad pitching instruction when you can get started with the 3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program and start adding pitching velocity TODAY!
What You Will Gain From the 3X Programs
- The Latest And Greatest Info And Research On Becoming A High Velocity Pitcher, PERIOD!
- An Insane Worth Ethic Which Will Make Your Team Envious!
- A 1.5 Power To Weight Ratio Which Will Make People Think You Are On Steroids!
- Perfect High Velocity Pitching Mechanics!
- A Totally New Perspective On How To Dominate On The Mound!
- 5-10 Or More MPH In Pitching Velocity!
- A Major League Edge On The Competition Which Will Make You Stand Out Among Scouts!
- The Top Pitching Velocity Program Online Which is Currently Used By Tons of Professionals, Major D1 Colleges and more!
Topvelocity.net is a Baseball Pitching and velocity improvement training program. Our main offerings include: a Pitching Velocity Program along with tips and articles to increase a pitchers velocity and online Pitching Video Analysis for players.