So you need velocity and you need it now! I get it. I was you. This is why I put together the top 10 pitching velocity workouts here so you don’t have to continue searching through all the junk online to actually find something that works.
Yes, I am going to give you years and years of knowledge in this article for FREE! Why would I do this? Because once you read these top 10 pitching velocity workouts, you are going to learn that there is no better website out there when it comes to developing pitching velocity and maybe just maybe, you will trust me enough to become a member of 3X Pitching.
Before I list these top 10 pitching velocity workouts, I am going to first give you proof that strength training increases pitching velocity then I am going to show you why these workouts will work. To understand why these workouts are so effective and has been the secrets to helping many top level college and professional pitchers make it in their careers, I need to first show you the science that proves it and then give you a quick summary of how pitching velocity is enhanced.
Studies Prove Strength Training Increases Pitching Velocity
Here is a short list of 6 case studies that prove the correlation between strength training and increasing pitching velocity.
- Escamilla RF, Ionno M, deMahy MS, Fleisig GS, Wilk KE, Yamashiro K, Mikla T, Paulos L, Andrews JR. – Comparison of three baseball-specific 6-week training programs on throwing velocity in high school baseball players. – Department of Physical Therapy, California State University, Sacramento, California, USA. – J Strength Cond Res. 2012 Jul;26(7):1767-81.
- Lehman G, Drinkwater EJ, Behm DG. – Correlation of throwing velocity to the results of lower-body field tests in male college baseball players. – School of Human Kinetics and Recreation, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Canada School of Human Movement Studies, Charles Sturt University, Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia. – J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Apr;27(4):902-8.
- Wooden MJ, Greenfield B, Johanson M, Litzelman L, Mundrane M, Donatelli RA. – Effects of strength training on throwing velocity and shoulder muscle performance in teenage baseball players. – J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1992;15(5):223-8.
- Escamilla RF, Fleisig GS, Yamashiro K, Mikla T, Dunning R, Paulos L, Andrews JR. – Effects of a 4-week youth baseball conditioning program on throwing velocity. – Andrews-Paulos Research and Education Institute, Gulf Breeze, Florida, USA. – J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Dec;24(12):3247-54.
- Werner SL, Suri M, Guido JA Jr, Meister K, Jones DG. – Relationships between ball velocity and throwing mechanics in collegiate baseball pitchers. – Texas Metroplex Institute for Sports Performance, Grand Prairie, TX 75050, USA. – J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 Nov-Dec;17(6):905-8.
- Carter AB, Kaminski TW, Douex AT Jr, Knight CA, Richards JG. – Effects of high volume upper extremity plyometric training on throwing velocity and functional strength ratios of the shoulder rotators in collegiate baseball players. – Department of Health, Nutrition, & Exercise Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark 19716, USA. – J Strength Cond Res. 2007 Feb;21(1):208-15.
How Pitching Velocity is Enhanced
Like I said this is a quick summary, so if you need more information and even more science to back all of this up then checkout the pitching velocity articles below which have all the research.
“100% of velocity is generated from the linear movement of the stride, into the rotation torque of the hips to shoulders at front foot strike. If we can enhance linear power through the stride and convert that into elastic rotational energy at front foot strike then the arm is fully cocked and fully loaded to release a fireball.”
If you need more than this to understand velocity then please stop reading and learn more from the articles listed below.
Now that you understand the secrets behind improving pitching velocity, here is the list. These velocity workouts are individual exercises, drills and routines that will enhance velocity separately but combined together make up a program that will help you reach your top velocity. The only secret that has been left out here and is available in the 3X Pitching Velocity program is the training cycle of reps and sets and the order of the exercises, drills and routines. I recommend that you give these workouts a try and if you experience the velocity gains you then check out the 3X Pitching Velocity program to get the full power pitching package.
Top 10 Pitching Velocity Workouts
(Do not share this with anyone but yourself.)
- 3 Position Cleans – This is the entire series of the Olympic Cleans. This includes the Power Clean, Below the Knee Clean and the Hang Clean. You must have a Certified Trainer coach you the techniques behind these Olympic lifts before you dive into them. There are no better lifts to develop power in the athlete.
- Plyometrics – Explosive jump series. These explosive movements coupled with the Olympic Lifts will create optimal leg power which can be converted into linear stride power.
- The Sled – This resistance exercise will not only train explosive ankle extension into triple extension but it will also train the motor coordination around the linear Force Vector. This is how to convert your new leg power into linear stride power.
- Med Ball Pitch Simulation Throws – There is no better way to train the motor coordination around power pitching mechanics than with a light weight medicine ball. This is with two hands and is the secret behind the 3X Velocity System which is the throwing program in the 3X Pitching Velocity program.
- Med Ball Rotational Throws – This will enhance the stretch shortening cycle of the core which will enhance the bodies ability to generate and store elastic energy.
- Strength Shoes Training – Training with the famous Strength Shoes will enhance the power production of any workout, especially using the strength shoes with the 3X Velocity System. It will force the ankle to kick faster, promoting more explosive triple extension which will create more hip rotation at front foot strike, during the pitching delivery. This has been one of my little secrets that I offer to all my pitchers who come down to my 3X Velocity Camps. It is a velocity gem!
- Heavy Load Russian Twists – Add the heaviest weight you can to your Russian Twists. Remember velocity can be enhanced more by the intent to move faster than by actually moving faster.
- Baseball to Football External to Internal Speed Throws – This is using the light weight baseball and the heavier football to train the external rotation of the rotator cuff. Remember to finish with optimal pronation of the throwing arm.
- Pavel Squats – These squats should be performed after your Cleans. This will promote optimal hip rotation as you squat low while training leg extension as you extend up. This will support a strong extended front leg at pitch release like Justin Verlander.
- Mind Over Matter Visualization – This is not a physical exercise but a mental exercise. We are bound by nothing. We are what we think we are. If you can visualize yourself throwing hard and you can program this into your brain repeatedly then you will throw harder. I promise!
The #1 90+mph Fastball Training Program
This program has helped tons of pitchers live the dream of throwing 90+mph and signing with a D1 University, getting drafted by a Major League Organization and making it back to Major League Baseball. Many scouts in all organizations of baseball have recommended this program to help young pitchers get to the 90+mph range to improve their value at the next level.
The reason the 3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program works is because it is based off of science and it has been proven to develop the 90+mph fastball on thousands of pitchers. It isn’t rocket science or voodoo, it is the real deal! The program comes with a high level workload of drills, lifts and exercises scientifically programmed to enhance throwing speed on the mound while developing an efficient pitching delivery. The format of the 3X Pitching Velocity Program is similar to the same approach Olympic throwers have been using for decades to increase throwing velocity. This approach isn’t new to the sports world but it is new to baseball.
If you are serious about your career and are insanely driven to put yourself into an extremely small percentage of pitchers who are potential D1 prospects, top level draft picks or you just want to reach your potential on the mound then this program is the best chance you have to making your dreams come true.
Learn more about the 3X Extreme Pitching Velocity Program or get started TODAY adding 5-10+mph!